Friday, July 13, 2007

War is not the answer.


Indonesia is on my mind today. What is going on in this country? Why does it matter? They have the largest population of Muslims in the world. What is it that can make that country very happy, very prosperous and very safe?


Could it be for me to not drive anywhere today? Could it be for me to send money? Could it be for me to go there when people around me are not a lot better off perhaps than the people of Indonesia--unless it is soon after a catastrophe. It has been 6 years almost since 9/11, and we only lost 3,000+ people. It has been more than 2 years, but Indonesia has lost what, 250,000 with the mud volcano, volcanos, tsunamis, earthquakes, ferry disasters, airplane crashes, and storms.


Of course, we have car accidents and domestic violence. We have so much violence, and then there is war. We are losing people in war. This is why it is important to help Indonesia during catastrophes. Not just for the immediate humanity of helping, but to fill a vacuum with caring so that so much frustration from the sadness and grief becomes violence.
If we are not part of the solution, we are part of the problem. Here in Georgia, I am choosing not to drive. I am saving money so that I can do better things with my money than see movies and travel 10 miles for what? The energy I am saving today will help global warming enough that it will turn the tide and we all get back on track with normal weather?

No comments: